Decimals 2

Learning Intention:

Today you are going to learn how to read, write and use decimal numbers.

Success Criteria:

# Participate in all lessons: Blog/Grid/Ms Johnson/TM5 Fractions & Decimals > Order Decimals

#Complete reflections on your learning in comments: Ms Johnson/Blog

Let’s review the Decimal Place Value Chart

Decimal-Place-Value-Chart1

Today you are going to learn how to read and write decimal numbers onto a number line.

Comparing decimal numbers on a number line

Decimals on a Number Line Task (tenths)

Level 1 Zoomable

See that numbers behave the same, whether they are 1,2,3, or 10,20,30, or 0.01,0.02,0.03.

Level 2 BattleShip > Play Game > Decimals

Level 3 Hopper 

Help a frog to jump along a number line. Add multiples of hundredths to a starting number (or subtract them from it). Then estimate where the frog will finish on the line. For example, 1.72 + (11 x 0.07) = 2.49.

Reflections on Learning

1. Which game did you like the most and why?
  2. Which game didn’t help develop your understanding of the concept?
  3. Which task  did you find you gained the most knowledge from? Why?

Blog Games/Grid/Ms Johnson, Video & Discussion/TM5 Fractions & Decimals

42 thoughts on “Decimals 2

1. I really liked level two battle ships because it was just really easy to understand and rally fun overall!

2. I liked the games Battleship was fun but I really liked Hopper even though I was only able to get 1 point and I got 3 on Battleship! Both of the games helped my with my decimals.

3. I didn’t know about the presentages in the second video and that you had to jump twice and if it didn’t have a number under it you had to and a zero. Although it was a bit hard to see I learned a lot.

4. The first video really helped my understanding same with the second one it was just not showing the full screen.

5. I understood the video and i enjoyed it but it was a bit confusing at the end because we couldn’t see the answers.

6. What was your favourite game and why?

1. I enjoyed level 2 battle ship because you had to guess where the given number is.

Which game didn’t help develop your understanding of the concept?

2. The task level 3 hopper didn’t help develop my consent of understanding.

Which task did you find gained most knowledge from? Why?

3. The task level 2 battle ship had more of an effect on my learning because you had to guessdamate where the battle ship had to go on the number line with the number that was given.

7. battle ship was my favourite because I had to guess where to hit the battle ship it was really easy

the first game I did not understand

I think battle ship

8. Hi Miss Johnson,
    I found the second video more effective then the first video. It stood out to me more became it was more interesting and it had more work. The fist video was boring and didn’t have a lot of information in my opinion. What I learnt from the first video was that you can use a number ine but if there was harder decimals. But everything in the second video was new to me and I had not known any of that.

9. I think the 2nd level was quite interesting because the game showed the decimal and there was a boat hidden on a number and you had a bomb and had to try hit the boat and win

10. Level 1 was not explaining what to do so I didn’t get help with my understanding on that one. Level 2 and level 3 were very fun I understood them both but the battleship game was better to explain to me.

11. When I kept on playing level 2 it got harder and I wasn’t so sure about the answers it had questions like ‘find 0.08’ I thought it would be the same as 0.8 but it was incorrect and it didn’t tell me how I was getting it wrong or explaining it to me.

12. I liked the second game the best because it got me exited and the other ones didn’t make much sense and it was super fun. I loved it so much thank you.

13. The video helped me learn percentages and I loved the video 📽📽📽🎥👍👍✍✍✍✍

14. 1) I liked the battle ship game because it helped me guess where the decimals were.
    2) zoomable because all it did was zoom in on a number line.
    3) battle ship because it has big and small decimals and had a number line like area.

15. I liked Decimals to Fractions and percentages it was really fun and helped me with my understanding.👍

16. I liked level 2 the most because it was more understandable and it is a good way to help me learn about decimals.

17. Hi Miss Johnson
    The game that helped me the most was Level 2 BattleShip. It helped me the most with identifying where decimals, whole numbers, mixed fractions and more are. It was a fun, enjoyable, helpful way to learn where the things I stated earlier are found. The second best way to learn your fractions and decimals is the first game called Level 1 Zoomable. It was good because it showed you where the fractions are and it is fun.

18. The video really helped me learn about how to order decimals on a number line and how to change decimals to percentages and to fractions using a great mathematical strategy.📝

19. I’ve never known how to get percentages of certain things but this really helped me to find out how to find percentages

20. 1)number 1 was not so fun
    2)number 2 was the best and fun
    3)number 3was pretty fun but number 2 was the best

21. I liked battleships because I like decimals and number lines it really helped me with my understanding of decimals.

22. I also learnt how to simplify the whole complicated looking strategy and how to use simple stuff.

23. it helped me understand fractions and how to order them. in the game and video I knew some of it like 25 out of 100 = 1

24. Reflection-
    The video really helped me with changing decimals to fractions and decimals to percentages because the lady clearly showed how to change them each which made it seem a lot easier than it looked because all you had to do was take away the 0 and times it by 100 if you were changing the decimals to percentages.

25. It helped me think back to other things in percentages and fractions and then I applied that knowledge to help me get the correct answer

26. Decimals to Fractions and percentages really helped and it seemed so hard but was actually really easy to do I found out two new skills that I didn’t know.

Here is an example:
    0.89 = 89x 100= 89%

27. Reflection.
    The first video showed us a way of comparing decimals and the second video was new knowledge for me but surprisingly easy when the person on the video explained it and did it with us.

28. From the first video I leaned a very easy new way to compare decimals and in the second video I leaned a whole new thing with the decimal point moving if two spaces and finding out percentages out of decimals ♪♪♪

29. Reflection-
    I liked game 2,Battle Ship, because it was really fun trying to guess where the ship was when you had a time limit.
    I think Game 1 was the game that didn’t help develop any new knowledge because it didn’t tell you what to do, it just said click whatever.
    I gained most of my knowledge on game 2 because it was really clear.

30. From the videos that were shown I learned Los of strategies that can be used during using decimals. The first video was the easiest one to tag along with, the second video was more complex. I found the second video hard because the lady was in the way of the working out that was shown.

31. I thought that the battleship game or otherwise 2nd game was the best because it was more of an animated and pictured game as well it was more of an estimate.

32. what game did you like the most and why?

I liked level three hopper because it improved my understanding of decimals and it was easy and really fun

zoomable didn’t help my understanding because I didn’t understand it

33. I didn’t really understand the first game, all I was able to do was zoom in and out.
    I think the second game was extremely fun, it definitely improved my understanding of sorting decimals on a number line.

34. Reflection
    The game one is not fun, but you can zoom in to a number that can have billionth or more, that can really help you when you was doing the calculating.

35. Hi Ms Johnson I beat my personal best on fractions on targeting maths five and I got a badge on ordering decimals on the same app and I did the fashion unit in the book.And I watched the videos the you had on the blog.