Decimals

Learning Intention: Today you are going to learn how to order decimals.

Key Success Criteria: # Definite the Term – Ordering Decimals

# Engage with the video (watch it several times) participate in the lesson with a whiteboard.

# Play the games       # Reflect on your learning

Ordering Numbers

20160502-213607-2dwgj0x.jpgDefinition

The word “Decimal” really means “based on 10” (From Latin decima: a tenth part).

We sometimes say “decimal” when we mean anything to do with our numbering system, but a “Decimal Number” usually means there is a Decimal Point.

We can think of a decimal number as a whole number plus tenths, hundredths, etc:

Example 1: What is 2.3 ?

• On the left side is “2”, that is the whole number part.
  • The 3 is in the “tenths” position, meaning “3 tenths”, or 3/10
  • So, 2.3 is “2 and 3 tenths”

Example 2: What is 13.76 ?

• On the left side is “13”, that is the whole number part.
  • There are two digits on the right side, the 7 is in the “tenths” position, and the 6 is the “hundredths” position
  • So, 13.76 is “13 and 7 tenths and 6 hundredths”

Ordering Decimals

DeciMaster

Could you imagine a decimal such as 0.6 represented in other ways? Try it and see.

We’ll give you a decimal. You then adjust two other things – either of which could be a dial, pie chart, number line, fraction, grid (array) or counting frame – to match it.

Level 1 Ordering Decimals

Level 2 Decimal Ordering Game

Level 3 Decimals Quiz

54 thoughts on “Decimals

1. I thought the first game was quite fun and challenging. It improved my knowledge of ordering decimals in ascending order very well.

2. I enjoyed the decimal quiz the most because when you got a question right it would come up with a table that showed you exactly what place value the numbers fitted into. I found the ordering decimals hard at first but I soon got the hang of them.

3. Reflection
    today lesson I learn about how to order the decimal number from lowest to highest.

4. I thought the second game was pretty fun and improved my knowledge of the word ascending.