Week 7

Angles                   Negative Numbers                  Multiplying Decimals
                Digital Stories                     SpellCity Assignment                         Grammar Blast
                         Robot                      Rockhampton                       Super Scientists

One school in the UK is making that dream a reality by starting classes at half past one in the afternoon.  The change is based on studies which show teenagers do their best thinking later in the day.  

As you will be attending high school next year, what are your thoughts on this matter?

1) Do you agree or disagree with the research?          2) What are the positive ideas raised?

3) What are the negative outcomes?            4) What do you find interesting about this concept?

Blogging Challenge

Create a Tellagami about your favourite link from this weeks flipped classroom.

1) Ipad    2) Write script  3) Character + Record Voice  4) Publish on your blog

24 thoughts on “Week 7

1. 1) Do you agree or disagree with the research?
    Yes because starting later when you work better will make you get better grade which could lead you to a better and brighter future.

2) What are the positive ideas raised?
    Teenages concerntrate better at that 1pm which will most likely help the get better grades. You get to sleep in until lunch time.
    3) What are the negative outcomes?
    You wont feel like doing your home work when u get home beacause it will be late and you want be able to do any outside of school sport.

4) What do you find interesting about this concept?
    that teenages work better at 1pm and most teenages are tierd all day.Teenages dont feel as sleepy at night as adults do.
    Will

2. 1) I agree with this but I don’t think this will work for primary schools like ours because kids our age go to sleep earlier. I know I’m turning thirteen and I don’t fall to sleep until around 9:30- 9:35.
    2) Tennagers that are in highschool will get to sleep in which will let them not be tired in the morning which will make them ready for school and will help them concentrate in class and get better grades.
    3) Parents won’t be able to drop their kids to school because they will be at work, may not get home safely, will miss after school sport and no time to do homework.
    3) I found interesting that most high school kids go to sleep around 1:00 in the morning. My older brother must be very tired!!!

3. 1) Do you agree or disagree with the research? I agree.

2) What are the positive ideas raised?
    Students are usually tired in the mornings as they have lots of energy at night.
    They also work better later at night.
    They will be able to catch up on sleep which is extremely important.

3) What are the negative outcomes?
    Parents may not have the the time to drop their kids off at 1pm because of work.
    A majority of students have sport after school, so they will not have time to excersise.
    Homework will be hard to complete after shool at 7pm as it is far too late.
    Teachers need sleep earlier than teenagers and they do not want to stay up late marking work.
    Finishing school later will influence students to stay up later.
    This should only happen in high schools, not primary.

Adults get tired at around 10pm whereas teenagers at 1am.
    Homework will be a struggle. There will be more kids around at night.

4. 1. I do agree with this becuase getting more sleep would help alot of kids that can’t think in the morning also to add the fact that some kids can’t sleep until certain times just like it said in the video.
    2. The positives are kids get more sleep and also it give kids enough time to get ready for school.
    3. the negatives are parents won’t be able to get to work and it will be hard for homework and teachers to mark school work.
    4. I find intresting that it would start at 1:30 and not 12:00 o’clock. Also how there just introducing it at one school to start.
    🙂 Kahlia

5. Hi Nick 🙂 the smart high school students know that sleep is important to their well-being.

6. Love you thoughts about teachers marking work late . Thanks for thinking about us! 🙂

7. 1.I disagree
    2.Teenages work better later on in the day and are always tired in the morning.
    3.parents may not be able to take their kids to school and pick them up.
    4.that a school is actaully thinking of starting so late.

8. 1) Do you agree or disagree with the research?

A. I’m a little bit torn, from watching the video and absorbing all the opinions and information. I agree with the scientific research of teenagers being able to work harder, and think harder during the afternoon/evening allowing them to receive higher grades. Yet I also disagree with going later, as many will sleep in and not use their morning hours wisely for work. Also sport is a great way for children to keep fit and complete their passion; the students in the UK will not be able to do this as most training is in the afternoon. But sleep is very important and as teenagers minds do want them to sleep later, catching up on some sleep is also good! I can’t decide if i agree or disagree!

2) What are the positive ideas raised?

A. Coming to school later will allow Teenagers to catch up on sleep. scientific research also shows that people do their best work and thinking during the afternoon/ evening.

3) What are the negative outcomes?

A. Starting school later will not allow students to do sport as most trainings are during the afternoon. Also most parents drop their children of before they go to work, but if you start later parents won’t be able to drop you off, and if you can’t get a ride you might not get to school, or get to school safely! Most children do their homework when they finish school but because they get home late they decide not to complete homework and because they don’t get up for school early, they will sleep and not make time for homework!

A. How only one school has decided to go forward with this knew schooling system, and how there are so many benefits and non- benefits of this idea!

9. Chelsea, please remember to check your grammar and punctuation before posting a comment.

10. 1. I disagree
    2. Teenager can get better grades if this were to happen
    3. Not enough homework time, teachers will be going to bed later at night and not getting enough sleep, you miss dinner unless you are provided with it
    4. Everybodys’ brain sends off a chemical called Melatonin
    -Hayley

11. 1) I agree weith this concept because we could do our sport in the day and then go to school and then go home and wake up the next day and do home work and then sport then school.
    2) The teacher wouldent have to wake up early and the would have time to spend with their kids.
    3) And there may not be enough home work time and then we would be stressing how we were going to get our home work done.
    4) I find it interesting that every kid wants to sleep in and now there listening to kids and trying to make it a reality.
    🙂 _neta 🙂

12. 1) I mostly disagree with this concept because of my way of living because I would not have time to do sport after school because it is already late. Also it will be hard for parents because most parents drop their kids off and then go to work. On the other hand I think I work better in the afternoon and I would rather sleep in then wake up at the crack of dawn. Also it would be easyier for me to do homework because I will have more time. I would perfer to go to school in the morning because it is just easier to do with my life style.

2) Some positive ideas are that research has found that teenagers work better in the afternoon, students will have more time to do homework and sleep in.

To be contiued………………………………….

13. I think if I started later in the afternoon it would mess up not only my scedule but my mums and all the primary and high school teacher.After school i always go home and do my homework and then play minecraft have dinner watch tv and then i go to bed.So i disagree with the idea.#odd

14. 1) I dissagree because u wont be able to do spot in the arvo and wont have much time to do homework untill ur perents tell u to go to bed little kids perents wont be able to walk them in they will be at work
    2)u will be able to consertrate better and get better grades
    3) u wont have enough time to do ur homework and sport
    4) that teenagers get tired faster than udlts

15. 1) Do you agree or disagree with the research? I disagree with starting school in the afternoon as of the problems it would cause.
    2) What are the positive ideas raised? Teenagers would get more time to sleep in and rest for longer and they could possibly get better grades.
    3) What are the negative outcomes? Teenagers would not get enough time to finish all of their homework after school along with dinner and showers, and most schools have sports after school, but it would be too late to be outside.
    And little kids in primary school wouldn’t be able to be dropped off as the parents would be at work and then they wouldn’t be able to get home safely.
    4) What do you find interesting about this concept? The fact that a school actually went forward with this idea that most kids would dream of.

16. Contiued part of UK school post.

3) The parents will have to pay for busses to pick them up because their parents are working and they won;t be safe on the bus at night, Kids willl have to do their homework late at night and most kids will miss out of sport because most of the traning is in the afternoon.

4) I find it intresting that one school has tried this concept because the students have less time to learn and also to make it go to 7 o’clock at night when it is dangerous for kids to be walking home or taking the bus home.

From Nathan $

17. I do agree with the research, I mean since when have you woken up really early having to go to school without being tired or grumpy, and, when your at school do you actually pay attention? I for one am certain that over 80% of you would agree with me.
    Positive things about this are that, students would be more active and engaged, they wouldn’t be tired, although the students argue that they won’t be able to do homework and the teachers won’t be able to mark homework, there still is over 3 hours for them to mark and do, that is even longer than if they did it at night, plus they would not have to go to bed or stay up late.
    Negative things about this are that (as mentioned) an awful lot of students would not be able to get to school due to their parents work. As well as the dangers for some students
    that have to walk home at night. However companies would most likely adjust work times due to this, for example most parents work 9am till 5pm.
    Some things I found interesting about this are that the teenagers being interveiwed haven’t actually though tabout doing their homework in the morning, another thing I found interesting was that teenagers body doesn’t send out melatonin untill around 10pm, that’s late!

18. Ms Johnson, 🙂
    Erynn and I just logged on to the computer so are we able to come back at 12:45 instead of comming back at 12:30 because we were running around trying to find a computer!
    Thankyou,
    Madajah

19. 1) I agree
    2) Because teenages like yo get up at 1:00 in the afternoon
    3) Because teenages would do there home work even if they are tired
    4) That teenages should get up at 1:00 in the afternoon to get ready quicker

20. 1) I mostly disagree with the idealof it
    2) The positive of not starting school til 1pm is that teenagerswill get a better sleep and won’t be tied in the morning which will help with there school work to fosce and get better grades 🙂
    3)The negatives of not starting school til 1pm is their parents wouldn’t be able to get to work early so that they can get their kids to school and there would be no time to do their sport and homework
    4) I found that everybody’s brain sends off a chemical called Melatonin which helps them go to sleep
    🙂 Cassie :):)

21. 1) Do you agree or disagree with the research?
    At the start of the video I was thinking about all the good tthing about this and not the bad things like your parents may not be able to drop and pick you up before and after school (i dont believe this research will help alot more than the regular school times).
    2)What are the positive ideas raised?
    Well scientists belive that this will work but im not declining them but I think its not worth the time, Mabey it is a good ideaq to start at 1 in the afternoon and finish at 7 that might suit parents more if they get home late form work.
    3)What are the negative outcomes?
    Well this is a turn around from the positive but this may not suit parents at all most parents start work after they drop their kids at school and then finish at 3 when school is over not start at 1 and finish at 7pm.
    4)What do you find interesting about this concept?
    I never knew there where certain times where the body sends out a chemical that make you tired i thought you just get tired when your tired, and i thought adults would get sleepy before teenages but i was wrong its the other way around.
    🙂 Zane

22. I watched the video on Rockhampton and it was interesting and I did the robot activity and it was good fun
    :)_Neta_:)