Term 3 Week 10 – Wohoo!

ENG 1 Tasks

Poetry Vocabulary

1) grasp    2) curse   3) strict   4) fleece  5) swag

Extension- Explain the meaning  

6) blue bellied joe  7) beaten by a blow

_____________

Click go the shears – questions 1-6

Waltzing Matilda – Question 1-9 see Chelsea

______________

Reflections about Performing Arts Day – comments on this post

Highlights of Term 3 – comments to this post

Learning Goals under review – Wiki pages (did you meet your Term 3 goal? How?)

_______________

Blog Challenge – Take a photo of your fire/Ice shirt: use aviary to frame and add text.

Upload as a post to your blog.

21 thoughts on “Term 3 Week 10 – Wohoo!

1. Hi Ms Johnson, having a good holiday?

I laughed when I saw the song Click Go The Sheers, great poem choice! I know this is kind of late but do you want me to do actions or not. For example when I say playing in the waves, should I kick my feet as though I were at Mudjimba, or not?

Thanks,
    -Tazzin

2. Hi Tazzin – usually it’s not a wise idea to alter speech and movement just prior to presenting. However if you are comfortable with it, do it! We are currently in Orlando Florida and in a few hours we’ll jump aboard The Freedom of the Seas. Good luck to you and Kelsey!

3. Hi Ms Johnson, here are my vocabulary words!
    1. grasp – verb – definition: to seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.
    origin: 1350 – 1400 Middle English
    2. curse – noun – definition: the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc,. befall a person, group, etc.
    origin: before 1050 Middle English, Old English

4. Reflection about performing arts day.
    I was pretty nervous at the start, but I let my muscle memory take over and enjoyed it LOADS! It was awesome. I had lots of fun doing the outfit and the team spirit and attitude was awesome!

Morgan

5. Reflection about performing arts day.

Morgan,
    Cheesedem0nn03

6. Hi Ms Johnson
    This is my vocabulary words

1)grasp
    Origin:
    1350-1400; Middle English.
    Define:
    To seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.

2)curse
    Origin:
    before 1050; Middle English, Old English.
    Define:
    The expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.

3)strict
    Origin:
    1570-80, Latin.
    Define:
    Characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles.

4)fleece
    Origin:
    before 1000; Middle English, Old English.
    Define:
    The coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal.

5)
    Origin:
    1520-30, Norwegian.
    Define:
    A suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.

Ben 🙂

7. Dance on Performing Arts Gala Day

I was really nervous back stage, especially because I could hear the large crowd. When the music started I walked on with lots of attitude like we were meant to do. When we actually started dancing, I felt so much better and I got really into it. The shirts that we had been painting for several weeks looked great!!! I loved the fire design which Erynn created on our groups shirts. The dance turned out really well and everyone who saw it, were talking about afterwards, especially my family!!!

-Kahlia 🙂

8. I believe that our dance was the best dancing we have ever done before!
    I also reckon that our costumes were great!

9. My highlights were the performing arts day, camp and making up a secret language with Madajah which we called H.P.M.C!

10. Reflection on performing arts day…
    We all performed great and I believe all that hard work payed off.
    I gave my 100% and I an sure everyone else did too.
    I think Joanna’s singing was great.
    💿 📈🎶🎤

11. The rest of the vocabulary.
    3. strict – adjective – definition: characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles
    origin: 1570-80; < Latin
    4. fleece – noun – definition: the coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal.
    origin: before 1000; Middle English
    5. swag – noun – a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.
    origin: 1520-30; perhaps < Scandinavian; compare Norwegian svaga, svagga to sway, rock

12. My high light for term 3 was…
    – Grade 7 camp
    – performing arts day
    – and probably getting into Harry Potter

13. Vocabulary:
    1) Grasp
    Definition- To seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.
    Origin- 1350-1400; Middle English graspen
    Noun/Verb

2) Curse:
    Definition- The expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.
    Origin- before 1050; Middle English curs.

3) Strict:
    Definition- Characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles.
    Origin- 1570-80; < Latin strictus.

4) Fleece:
    Definition- the coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal.
    Origin- before 1000; Middle English flees
    -Jack

14. Poetry Vocabulary:

1. Grasp: to seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms. Origin: 1350-1400; Middle English. Sentence: Our grasp on what is possible and impossible is purely based upon our understanding.

2. Curse: the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc. Origin: before 1050; Middle English. Sentence: The triumphs of childhood curse the rest of our days.

3. Strict: characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles. Origin: 1570-80; < Latin. Sentence: All applications and materials submitted will be held in strict confidence.

4. Fleece: the coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal. Origin: before 1000; Middle English. Sentence: Consumers sometimes see planned obsolescence as a sinister plot by manufacturers to fleece them.

5. Swag: a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon. Origin: 1520-30; perhaps < Scandinavian. Sentence: Of course, it is open to a thief who believes his swag might have been so marked to attempt such cleaning himself.

Zak 😀

15. Dance reflection :

The day had arrived for our performance to commence. We all had gotten into costume and we were on stage ready to go. I was standing their facing Chelsea and I was next to Ben. I was jumping out of my skin with excitement and nerves (looking at Chelsea and Ben I think they were the same). Before we knew it the curtains opened and we gave attitude to the audience, we nailed it! Then the music began the rest of Fire and Ice walked on, with plenty of attitude. I could tell this was going to be one amazing dance off. Both Fire and Ice used massive amount of energy, and our body and facial language told the story really well. I think our performance was a great success and I could tell this by the audience appreciation and the smiles on everyone’s face. We were great. Even though making our creative, amazing shirts, perfecting the dance and our attitude took time it was WORTH IT!!

16. Vocab

1) grasp
    Definition- To seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms

Origin- 1350-1400; Middle English graspen, grapsen; cognate with Low German grapsen; akin to Old English gegræppian to seize

Sentence-I grasped for the rope as it started to slip away.

2) curse

Sentence-The witch had put a curse on the the giant so that it would shrink to human size.

Origin- before 1050; Middle English curs (noun), cursen (v.), Old English curs (noun), cursian (v.), of disputed orig.

3) strict
    Definition- Characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles

Origin- 1570-80; < Latin strictus, equivalent to strig-, variant stem of stringere to draw tight + -tus past participle suffix

Sentence- The teacher was very srict, He would never let us out for a game or do any activities that seemed fun.

4) fleece
    Definition- The coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal.

Origin- before 1000; Middle English flees, Old English flēos, flȳs; cognate with Middle Dutch vlies, Middle High German vilus , German vlies

Sentence- The famer shaved the fleece off the sheep during summer.

5) swag
    Definition- a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle.

Origin- 1520-30; perhaps < Scandinavian; compare Norwegian svaga, svagga to sway, rock.

Sentence- Other noteworthy submissions will get other small space swag.

-Will

17. Vocabulary

Grasp –
    Definition – To seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.
    Origin – 1350-1400; Middle English graspen, grapsen; cognate with Low German grapsen; akin to Old English gegræppian to seize
    Type – Verb
    Sentence – a drowning man grasping at straws; to grasp for an enemy’s rifle.

Curse –
    Definition – the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.
    Origin – before 1050; Middle English curs (noun), cursen (v.), Old English curs (noun), cursian (v.), of disputed orig.
    Type – noun
    Sentence – The babbled witch casted a terrifying, life threatening curse on the innocent girl.

Strict –
    Definition – characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles
    Origin – 1570-80; < Latin strictus, equivalent to strig-, variant stem of stringere to draw tight + -tus past participle suffix
    Type – Adjective
    Sentence – Mr Doyle for filled the rudest and strictness punishment of them all!

Fleece –
    Definition – the coat of wool that covers a sheep or a similar animal.
    Origin – before 1000; Middle English flees, Old English flēos, flȳs; cognate with Middle Dutch vlies, Middle High German vlius, German Vlies
    Type – noun
    Sentence – In the ballad click go the shears the language used indicates that the shearer’s shave sheep’s fleece.

Swag –
    Definition – a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.
    Origin – 1520-30; perhaps < Scandinavian; compare Norwegian svaga, svagga to sway, rock
    Type –noun
    Sentence – Of course, it is open to a thief who believes his swag might have been so marked to attempt such cleaning himself.

18. Vocab

Grasp –
    Type – Verb

Curse –
    Type – noun

Strict –
    Type – Adjective

Fleece –
    Type – noun

Swag –
    Type –noun

Kahlia

19. Poetry Vocabulary
    1) grasp- Grasp means to clutch or grab, well you get the idea
    2) curse- means unfortunate luck usually directed to one person because of their actions from the past but in this case I think it means to get mad at the object (the sheep)
    3) strict- stringent or exacting in or in enforcing rules, requirements, obligations.
    4) fleece- the coat of wool that covers a sheep (It’s like skin but for a sheep)
    5) swag- I think it’s street for cool or awesome lol =)
    6) blue bellied joe- I think it means a bruised sheep.
    7) beaten by a blow- this I have no idea

20. Reflections on our dance
    I think we all did the best of our ability
    I can’t believe how far we have come from February we were all bad and now in September we can put on an amazing performance!!! =)