Term 3 Week 6

Homework Task 9 Due 21st August

My Country   Biography D. Mackellar         Core of My Heart
       Cool Maths         Mathletics       Order of Operations
        Artefacts        Artefacts UK       Artefacts Collection

SpellCity Assignment

Vocabulary: Origin, Definition, Sentence

1) coppice  2) horizon  3)  tragic  3) pitiless  4) famine  5) lavish

Extension: Interpret the meaning from the author, Create alternative adjectival phrases 

a) Opal-hearted country    b) The sapphire-misted mountains 

Quote of the Week

What does this poem mean to you?

How did Dorothea Mackellar communicate with the world as to her thoughts about her homeland? Be specific!

philosophy1

37 thoughts on “Term 3 Week 6

1. Thought of the week
    I think it mean that even though people don’t talk much an action says a thousand words for them.

She spoke about the beauty of Australia and yearns for Australia’s love and beauty and that nowhere can compare to Australia.

2. Quote of the week!

1. This poem to me means not a lot because it is just another poem that we will learn and then not really look at it again.

2. She communicated with the world by her writing as in poems. So she might have been shy and it might have been easier to communicate with people by writing rather then verbally.

3. My thought is that if someone that cares for you but doesn’t show it it still means they like you like their actions towards you

Zak

4. I believe that it means that if you have a family member like a brother or sister and they don’t say that they love you but they do very nice things for you it’s like they’re trying to say that the love you.
    Nick.k 🙂

5. @Chelsea – does the poem evoke an emotion for you? Are there words and phrases in the poem that you really like?

6. Vocabulary

1. Coppice
    A. Noun
    A thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, especially one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained.
    B. Verb
    (Transitive) to trim back (trees or bushes) to form a coppice.
    C. 1375-1425; late ,Middle English copies< Middle French copeis < Old French copiez.

2. Horizon
    A. Noun
    The line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and the sky.
    B. 1540-1550 Middle French

7. Hi Ms Johnson
    Quote of the Week:this quote means that other people may not show or tell you how they feel about what you do, but their actions might show you the truth so make sure you pay attention.
    -Jack

8. Vocabulary Challenge
    Coppice- An area in which trees or shrubs grow, trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood are obtained. Origin- 1375-1425, late Middle English copies Middle French copeis, Old French copeiz Vulgar Latin. Sentence- The love of field and coppice, of green and shaded lanes, of ordered woods and gardens, is running in your veins.
    Horizon- an illusion were the sun meets the ocean. Origin- 1540-50- Latin horizōn Greek horízōn. Sentence- The splendid horizon was gleaming on the ocean’s water.
    Tragic- An event causing emotional pain to an animal or human being. Origin- 1535-45, Latin and Greek. Sentence- the tragic car accident had everybody upset.
    Pitiless- Feeling or showing no pity, merciless. Origin- late Middle English. Sentence- the man showed no pity for the people was named to be pitiless.
    Famine- extreme and general scarcity of food, as in a country. Origin- Latin and late Middle English. Sentence- some people in Africa are famine and parched due to the humidity there.
    Lavish- using or giving in great amounts. Origin- 1425-75; late Middle English lavas profusion (noun), profuse (adj.) < Middle French. Sentence- I am not sure on a sentence but I think lavish means to give plentiful.
    -Hayley

9. The quote of the week

No, this does not really create emotion for me as I prefer narratives rather then poetry because poetry sort of makes me go to sleep because they are sort of repetitive for me and just frustrates me.

I like the sentence ‘ An opal-hearted country’ because she if referencing to how opals are found in Australia and because they are found in the ground.

10. Hi Ms Johnson

These are my vocabulary words.

1)Coppice
    Origin:
    1375-1425; late Middle English.
    Define:
    a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained.

2)horizon
    Origin:
    1540-50, Middle English.

Define:
    the line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and sky.

Ben 🙂

11. I believe that this quote means that some people may not tell you that they like or dislike you but it shows through through there actions whether they like you or dislike you
    😈Neta😈

12. Hi Ms Johnson,
    Vocabulary

1) coppice
    Definition: A dense growth of small trees especially one trimmed to small stumps
    Origin: 1375-1425 let Middle English
    Sentence: the men stopped the coppice as they had done enough

2)horizon
    Definition: the line that shows boundary between the earth and sky
    Origin:1540-50
    Sentence: the sun was touching the horizon in the evening.

3)tragic
    Definition: something which is mournful or depressing
    Origin:1535-45
    Sentence: everybody was depressed at the tragic event.

4) pitiless
    Definition:showing/feeling no pity
    Origin:1325-1475
    Sentence:he was pitiless during the event

-Jasmin

13. Hi Ms. Johnson,

My sister came home telling me that our class performed on gathering today and I freaked a little. Was our performance date moved to today?

Thanks,
    Jojo

14. I just got home from the Japanese farewell night! It was a lot of fun and there was a lot of dancing!

15. Hi Ms Johnson,

Vocabulary, continued

5)famine
    Definition: extreme shortness of food
    Origin:1325-75
    Sentence: when famine comes to the poor they can die a terrible death.

6)lavish
    Definition: using/giving in large amounts
    Origin:1425-75
    Sentence: this was a lavish of his time.

-Jasmin

16. Coppice: a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained. Origin: 1375-1425 late Middle English. Sentence: I had to chop down the coppice because it was annoying me.

Horizon: the line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and sky. Origin: 1540-50 Latin, Greek. Sentence: The view of the horizon from my house was amazing.

Tragic: characteristic or suggestive of tragedy. Origin: 1425-35 Latin. Sentence: Tragic events sometimes bring out the best in people.

Pitiless: feeling or showing no pity; merciless. Origin: 1374-1425 late Middle English. Sentence: His work on them is a masterpiece of pitiless satire.

Famine: extreme and general scarcity of food, as in a country or a large geographical area. Origin: 1325-75 Middle English. Sentence: With no food or clean water and open wounds, the risk of famine and epidemic diseases was high.

Lavish: expended, bestowed, or occurring in profusion. Origin: 1425-75 late Middle English. Sentence: Instead, new developments are providing lavish common spaces.

Zak 😀

17. Quote of the week

I think this quote means that some people may not talk much but something they do might mean something.

Dorothea Mackellar took the readers to another place and showed the world what Australia is like and why she loves it.

-Jasmin

18. Thought of the week
    Origin 1375-1425; late Middle English copies < Middle French copeis, Old French copeiz < Vulgar Latin
    Definition a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained

Horizon
    Origin 1540-50; < Latin horizōn < Greek horízōn

Definition noun

19. Vocabulary
    3. Tragic
    A. Adjective
    Acting in or writing tragedy:
    A tragic actor; a tragic poet.
    B.
    1540s, “calamitous, disastrous, fatal,” shortened from tragical (late 15c.), modeled on L. tragicus, from Gk. tragikos “of or pertaining to tragedy,” lit. “of or pertaining to a goat,” and probably referring to a satyr impersonated by a goat singer or satyric actor.Tragic flaw (1913) translates Gk. hamartia.
    4. Pitiless
    A. Adjective
    Having or showing little or no pity or mercy.
    B.
    1375-1425; Late Middle English
    5. Famine
    A. Noun
    1.
    extreme and general scarcity of food, as in a country or a large geographical area.
    2.
    any extreme and general scarcity.
    3.
    extreme hunger; starvation.
    B.
    1325-75; Middle English < Middle French, derivative of faim hunger (< Latin famēs);
    6. Lavish
    A.
    Adjective
    expended, bestowed, or occurring in profusion:
    lavish spending.
    Verb
    to expend or give in great amounts or without limit:
    to lavish gifts on a person.
    B.
    1425-75; late Middle English lavas profusion (noun), profuse (adj.) < Middle French lavasse downpour of rain, derivative of laver to wash < Latin lavāre

20. Hi Ms Johnson this is the answers for vocabulary:
    1. Coppice
    Word type: noun
    Meaning: A thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained.
    Origin:
    1375-1425; late Middle English copies < Middle French copeis, Old French copeiz < Vulgar Latin *colpātīcium cutover area, equivalent to *colpāt(us) past participle of *colpāre to cut.
    Sentence: I had to go cut the coppice.
    2. Horizon
    Word type: noun
    Meaning: The line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and the sky.
    Origin: 1540-50; < Latin horizōn < Greek horízōn (kýklos) bounding (circle), equivalent to horíz(ein) to bound, limit + -ōn present participle suffix (nominative singular); replacing Middle English orizonte < Middle French < Latin horizontem, accusative of horizōn.
    Sentence as the ship pushed against the waves the captain was on the deck looking over the horizon.
    3. Tragic
    Word type: adjective
    Meaning: Characteristic or suggestive of tragedy.
    Origin: 1535-45; < Latin tragicus < Greek tragikós of tragedy, equivalent to trág(os) goat + -ikos -ic.
    Sentence: The incident was so tragic.
    4. Pitiless
    Word type: adjective
    Meaning: Feeling or showing no pity; merciless:
    pitiless criticism of his last novel.
    Origin: 1375-1425; late Middle English piteles.
    Sentence: The warrior was merciless and pitiless.
    5. Famine
    Word type: noun
    Meaning: Extreme and general scarcity of food, as in a country or a large geographical area.
    Origin: 1325-75; Middle English < Middle French, derivative of faim hunger (< Latin famēs); see -ine2.
    Sentence: Even though there is peace in India there is famine.
    6. Lavish
    Word type: adjective
    Meaning: Expended, bestowed, or occurring in profusion:
    lavish spending.
    Origin: 1425-75; late Middle English lavas profusion (noun), profuse (adj.) < Middle French lavasse downpour of rain, derivative of laver to wash < Latin lavāre.
    Nick.k 🙂

21. Hi Ms Johnson

1) I thought that the thought of the week meant that actions speak louder than words and that people are afraid to tell people how they feel about you.

From Nathan

22. Dorothea made poems about and made it very clear she loved Australia and she used lots of high Language which made her readers feel what she was feeling.
    🐢😈neta😈🐢

23. Hi Ms. Johnson,

Today I’m doing the quote of the week:

“People may not always tell you how they feel about you, but their actions will speak for themselves. Pay attention.”

I have a question about this quote;
    Who wrote this quote? Was it Dorothea Mackellar?

And now for your questions about the quote (I think they are about the quote…)
    Q1. What does this Poem mean to you?
    A1. I’m not really sure, as much of the wording in this poem confuses me because it is very Australian. I do not understand Australian words – not unlike you.

Q2. How did Dorothea Mackellar communicate with the world as to her thoughts about her homeland? Be specific!
    A2. Since Dorothea Mackellar was a poet, it is highly likely that she would communicate with the world through her poetry for most things. But to this question in particular, she definitely communicated her thoughts about her homeland through her poem, “My Country”. In “My Country”, Dorothea is in England, but is longing for her homeland, the red, sun burnt plains of Australia.

I am now going to tell you what I think the quote means:
    I think that the quote featured in this week’s blog post conveys a message that says that people won’t always tell you what they feel of you, or how they feel of you, but if you are attentive, you can always tell by their actions. To go into further depth, someone could mean of friendship, hatred or perhaps love towards you, but they are too afraid to tell you. You need to watch them carefully and you will be able to tell. But be wary: if you do it constantly, they might think you’re stalking them. That’s never a good thing…

I hope this is a satisfactory answer for you.

-Jojo

24. Hi ms Johnson

These are my thoughts on the quote

Dorothea Mackellar used this poem to communicate with the world about how she felt about Australia even though people thought that she was silly to want to live in Australia because of the bush-fires and all the deadly things but that’s her home land and she loves Australia and that’s my thought.

Liam

25. Hi Ms Johnson,

This is my Vocabulary words.

1) coppice
    Definition- A dense growth of small trees especially one trimmed to small stumps

Origin- 1375-1425 late Middle English

Sentence- The coppice was difficult to get past in the rainforest.

2)horizon

Definition- the line that shows boundary between the earth and sky

Origin-1540-50

Sentence- The horizon was beautiful with the sun setting, with the sky coloured red, purple and orange.

3)tragic

Definition- something which is mournful or depressing

Origin-1535-45

Sentence- Some athletes get depressed after they had everything done for them in that career.

4) pitiless

Definition-showing or feeling no pity

Origin-1325-1475

Sentence- He was pitiless about his brother.

From Nathan 🙂

26. Vocabulary
    1) coppice
    Origin: 1375-1425; late Middle English copies < Middle French copeis, Old French copeiz < Vulgar Latin.
    Definition: A thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, especially one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained.
    Sentence: There is a coppice near my house.

2) horizon
    Origin: 1540-50; < Latin horizōn < Greek horízōn
    Definition: The line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and sky.
    Sentence: The sun barely reaches over the horizon as it sets.

3) tragic
    Origin: 1535-45; < Latin tragicus < Greek tragikós of tragedy.
    Definition: Extremely mournful, melancholy, or pathetic
    Sentence: The accident was tragic; I can't believe it happened.

4) pitiless
    Definition: Feeling or showing no pity; merciless.
    Sentence: The girl was pitiless as she hurt the other child.

27. Hi Ms Johnson, here are some vocabulary words and the blog quote.
    1. coppice(noun) – definition: a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of poles and firewood is obtained
    origin: 1375 – 1425; late Middle English
    Sentence Example: coppice working died out, though a few men continued in the woods.
    2. Horizon(noun) – definition: the line or circle at forms the apparent boundary between earth and sky.
    Origin: 1540 – 50; < Latin horizon < Greek horizon
    Sentence Example: sitting on the sand and watching the horizon can be quite mesmerising,

Thought of the week:
    That instead of just communicating verbally you can still communicate by actions, or even poems.

28. Hi Ms Johnson
    A while ago you asked us to come up with ideas for homework tasks! Well I have one!
    We could do a powerpoint on our favourite movie character ( EG Neville Longbottom!) ( In case you do not know who Neville Longbottom is from Harry Potter!)

29. Hi Ms Johnson

I was just wondering because I finished my homework dose group 2 have to do a speech.

Liam

30. Dear Ms Johnson

I just had a brainwave and I thought, in our dance, you know how it’s a dance off. What we could do is , one side dances F-Troop Style, and the other side dances something from the Dance Dance Dance CD from previous years. That way everyone isn’t like “we dance the dance better than you” but “our dance is better than yours.” Then when Old School Breakdown comes on and everybody does the same dance, everyone’s mad that the other side copied their dance. If this doesn’t make sense please let me know.

Thanks
    -Tazzin

31. Tragic